Getting back to it

I took some time off from working on my site; my reasons are irrelevant to this discussion. The important thing is, I'm back now, and have made a couple of improvements since the last time I worked on this blog. They are:


  1. The Featured Artwork on the Home page now shows 4 random images. If you refresh the page, you'll see different images. They all come from a pool of about 30 images tagged with "favorite," so they're all among my best work (based on my own subjective opinion). The mechanism for this is a simple implementation of the Fisher-Yates algorithm to shuffle the images and then grab the first 4 (though the same component could be used to randomly select an arbitrary number of random images).
  2. On the Artwork page, the gallery of thumbnails on the left is now a set height, instead of resizing to match the height of the selected image on the right. I'm still not completely satisfied with this, but at least you don't see huge gaps between the rows of thumbnails.
  3. The Selected Image display now has a functional Prints button (at least for certain images) that opens a new tab with the image on Fine Art America, and the opportunity to buy various products that feature the image. Since this was the original point of the site, I'm pretty psyched that it finally works; I had spent a lot of time trying unsuccessfully to get the same functionality using the Printful API, but it was just too complicated and still didn't take care of handling the purchase for me.
Here are some things I still have to do:
  1. Make the Purchase Original button work. This should be possible through a built-in feature of Netlify that handles form submissions, but of course it's impossible to test on localhost.
  2. Make everything look nice. Currently working a Bootstrap implementation, then planning to do the same thing with Material UI, and see which one I like better.
  3. Add the Process feature, where you can see photos of the paintings at various stages of completion. The main problem with that is that Cloudinary's example code that I'm trying to copy uses a lot of Promise syntax that I still don't fully understand. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basically done! (at least on full-screen. except for some issues.)

Getting back to it, again

Mobile Issues