Responsiveness is hard!

The title pretty much says it all. I have my site looking pretty close to how I want it, at least for this phase of development. But only at the default screen size of my laptop. As soon as I resize the window, it starts getting weird.

It's not that I expect to get a lot of customers using small devices. OK, the original point of making a website was so when I'm out painting, I can have a QR code taped to my easel that will link to my site. So, I am expecting to get some visitors with mobile devices. But mostly, I want my site be responsive because it's embarrassing to have it not be. I'm still afraid to text anyone a link to my site, because it's too unpredictable on a small screen.

Also, while normal web users aren't constantly resizing their browser windows, developers are doing exactly that. So, if I want other developers to be impressed with my skills (and I really do), then giving it a smooth transition on resize is an essential requirement.

But, it's hard.

For example, you can solve a lot of issues by putting style units in vw/vh instead of px. That makes every component resize proportionally when the window gets resized. However, if that's all you do, things like text and images can get so small on a phone that they're useless. So you have to actually come up with a different mobile design, and then make the page transition to that design in a smooth way when it gets to that size.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basically done! (at least on full-screen. except for some issues.)

Getting back to it, again

Mobile Issues