Basically done! (at least on full-screen. except for some issues.)

The full-screen version of my site is essentially complete! Mostly. Except for the Map component, which I don't quite have yet; instead there's just a button that opens the location in Google Maps, in a new tab. Also, I had wanted to use URLs for all navigation, including within the Artwork page; but it turned out to involve a lot of changes, so I put that on pause for now.

The mobile version is a different story. Prior to this week, opening the site on a screen less than about 600px would just break the site - totally useless navigation, overlapping elements, etc. I managed to fix that, mainly by just changing all my CSS unit values to vh/vw and %, instead of px or em. But there are still some serious aesthetic issues on mobile devices. Which I'm going to discuss in my next post.

So, here is a screenshot from the site, basically as it was when my team and I presented it at GA, as a "post grad" project:


And here it is now:

Besides looking better, all the buttons work now - the controls in the upper right of the old version were just images, they didn't do anything. It also has a number of new features, many of which are almost entirely functional.

So, except for a couple of issues, especially on small screens, I'm basically done. With this phase, anyway - the front-end-only website part. There's still a bunch more things I could do if I had my own API to work with. There are actually a bunch of things I could do just with Cloudinary, if I had  something running on a server. OK, mostly the same things I'm doing now, but way more efficiently. For example, I could make my own interface for adding and managing content. I've been using Cloudinary's console, which is great but not really optimized for how I'm using the service. I'd like to make something that would simplify that process for me. For example, when I upload an onsite photo of a finished painting, it could automatically use the location data in the photo, instead of me having to extract it and then enter it in one of Cloudinary's custom fields.

Also, in theory, someone else could use it to display their own artwork. Or whatever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting back to it, again

Mobile Issues